WELCOME

Welcome. The Two Leos (My Trusty Companion and I) are glad you stopped by. I have created this site to document and share our adventures as we travel around the United States. In 2011, these travels were limited to weekend outings and vacations. We used these to explore areas which will be visited more extensively in the future. Beginning in 2012, we expanded our travels as we transition to the full-time RV lifestyle. Check back from time to time to see our wanderings.

Quote

“...not all those who wander are lost...” Tolkien, J. R. R. (1954), The Fellowship of the Ring, The Lord of the Rings, Boston: Houghton Mifflin (published 1987), "Strider", ISBN 0-395-08254-4

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Accidental Taos

8-15-2011

It was a brisk morning today. I don't have a thermometer, but when Leo and I got up at 6:30 AM I'm guessing it was in the low 50s. Our sweaters felt good.

Good Morning Campers
 
I cranked up the propane stove and got some Starbucks VIA brewed. By 8:30 I realized that was an insufficient breakfast. I had seen a sign somewhere that said Angle Fire 20 miles. So I decided to make a run in to see if I could find a breakfast spot.

Two and one half hours and 75 miles later I rolled into Taos. When I got back to camp this evening I pulled out the map (which I'll take with me from now on) and determined where I went wrong. It seems I should have turned right instead of left at the State Park gate. That's what is known as getting' lost from the get-go. But I've come up with a sure fire way to avoid getting lost int future. From now on I'm going to explore with no particular destination in mind. That way no matter where I end up, it won't be accidental.

As it turned out, my accidental trip to Taos was great. It took me through a large section of the Carson National Forest. This offered some of the best scenery I've seen in years. Here is a sample:

View from the top of the drive through Carson National Forest.




Leo found the prospect of chasing chipmunks down the mountain particularly tempting.

I hear movement in those leaves!!!!

Too bad that railing and Pappy are in the way.

On the trip through the National Forest I saw several NFS campgrounds that were sparsely occupied. There were also plenty of well marked NFS roads that I can explore for boondocking locations. Since this was my first time through this area and, remember, I started out going to breakfast in Angle Fire, I didn't venture off the main highway. You know, I wouldn't want to get lost. And while access is fairly easy, not many people venture past the first few miles of the stream, leaving the rest relatively pressure free.” I hope sometime when I out exploring with no destination in mind I can find Forest Road 438 off New Mexico Highway 518 and just happen to have my fly rod in the truck.

No comments: