WELCOME

Welcome. The Two Leos (My Trusty Companion and I) are glad you stopped by. I have created this site to document and share our adventures as we travel around the United States. In 2011, these travels were limited to weekend outings and vacations. We used these to explore areas which will be visited more extensively in the future. Beginning in 2012, we expanded our travels as we transition to the full-time RV lifestyle. Check back from time to time to see our wanderings.

Quote

“...not all those who wander are lost...” Tolkien, J. R. R. (1954), The Fellowship of the Ring, The Lord of the Rings, Boston: Houghton Mifflin (published 1987), "Strider", ISBN 0-395-08254-4

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Scratch Hondo

I've been exploring the last couple of days. Yesterday I visited the area around Canyon Lake and the Guadalupe river. It is a very appealing area with rolling hills, heavily wooded, though the trees are mostly cedar. The Guadalupe is beautiful and I can see why it draws the “Toobers” during the warm weather. There were some in the water today, but the season really starts with Easter weekend. I located a fly fishing shop (Action Angler) yesterday, but when I visited the shop about 10:30 in the morning, it was closed. I spoke with a young man named Lee who was a friend of the owner, and was keeping an eye out for anyone stopping by. The owner was out on a guide trip and was only around the store occasionally this time of year. Lee suggested I call the owner, who would meet me at the store sometime in the afternoon. Pretty laid-back time of year here.

While exploring the river area, I found an RV park that looks like it holds potential as a winter base once I retire.

The picture above shows the RV section of the property. The Guadalupe river is to the left of the line of parking slots. Below are pictures of the typical view from the riverside slots.










River-front slots here during the winter season (October-April) are well within my budget.

Back to the subject of fishing, I decided to engage a guide for Thursday morning. When coming into a new area I find the cost of a guide well worth the expense. Particularly on the Guadalupe, where access to the river is limited to paid access, stumbling around trying to find the good locations can be frustrating. I'll update the Wanderings with a report on that experience tomorrow.

Today I decided to check out the Escapees Co-op location in Hondo, Texas.

For some reason I thought Hondo was in the Hill Country. Wrong! It's is due west of San Antonio, which seems to be below the Hill Country. The terrain is pretty flat, and marked with scrub cedar and mesquite trees. The town of Hondo itself is a typical Texas country town. It has one street of storefronts along a railroad track with US 90 running parallel to the railroad on the other side of the tracks. It's got a population of about 8,000 and its most prominent structure is its grain elevators. Not bad, but nothing to get excited about after seeing the Guadalupe.

Unfortunately, The Escapee Co-op park isn't in Hondo. It's actually about six miles further down US 90 in the town of D'Hanis, Texas. D'Hanis is a wide spot in the road, and not a very colorful one at that. The RV park itself is pretty nice, with good paved streets and good spacing between units. But it is really in the middle of nowhere. If I'm going to be in the middle of nowhere, I want nowhere to be nice to look at (like mountains or beach)!!! So, I'm scratching the Hondo Escapee park off my list in favor of the New Braunsfels/Guadalope River area.

Fishing news to follow.

Pappy

No comments: