WELCOME

Welcome. The Two Leos (My Trusty Companion and I) are glad you stopped by. I have created this site to document and share our adventures as we travel around the United States. In 2011, these travels were limited to weekend outings and vacations. We used these to explore areas which will be visited more extensively in the future. Beginning in 2012, we expanded our travels as we transition to the full-time RV lifestyle. Check back from time to time to see our wanderings.

Quote

“...not all those who wander are lost...” Tolkien, J. R. R. (1954), The Fellowship of the Ring, The Lord of the Rings, Boston: Houghton Mifflin (published 1987), "Strider", ISBN 0-395-08254-4

Monday, April 18, 2011

It's A Wrap!

The wrap-up of my first vacation trip of the year was great. The week was capped off with the Old Settlers' Music Festival Austin. The music was excellent and the weather was beautiful. Bit the best part was being able to spend the time with my kids. Having Doug, Kim and Maggie all together without the distraction of spouses, boy friend, kids was a special occasion.







Then when you add in the Austin crazies that always show up at Old Settlers it was a blast.







I arrived in Austin Thursday afternoon, after spending the morning on my guided fishing trip. I stayed at Maggie's apartment for the weekend. She had class Thursday, and didn't get home until after nine. This gave me a chance to get my laundry done from the first part of the week and catch a nap. Since I had been up since 4:00 am, the nap was welcome. When Maggie got home we went to Taco Cabana, where Maggie was startled to discover the they served margaritas!! She said she may become a regular!

I had planned to go to the festival on Friday, but found out that the headline act, The Avett Brothers had canceled their appearance due to a birth in the family (that's a new one on me). Since that was the act Kim was most interested in seeing, she decided not to go Friday. Doug wasn't arriving until Friday evening. Since Maggie was working Friday morning, I decided to skip the Friday show also and just focus on a great time together with all three on Saturday.

So I spent Friday morning with Kim. We shipped the kids off to school, then went to breakfast at Mimi's. Then Kim gave me a tour of her house under construction.
As you can see, it is now under roof and really beginning to look like a house. Walls are framed out so we can begin to get a feel for the rooms and the flow of the house. It is going to be a real showplace. More importantly, it is a house that the Waters family will always think of as “home”.

In the afternoon, Maggie and I spent some time looking over the information she had gathered about the Nutrition major at Stephen F. Austin State University. It is clear that if she is going this direction we need to get a trip to SFASU as soon as possible to understand what courses she can take at ACC before transferring to SFASU. Right now that is very unclear.

Then, while Maggie went kayak shopping with Jonas, I returned to Kim's house to wait for Doug. He rolled in about 9:00 pm, Maggie and Jonas were right behind him. From then on the party was underway. We finally adjourned about mid-night with a plan for the next day.

We kicked off Friday with a plan to meet at Starbucks at, as Kim put it 9:00ish. By the time Kim and Doug caught up with Maggie and me, it was”9:00ish-ish-ish-ish”. Flora's Mexican restaurant was open, so we went there of breakfast. When we finished it was close to 11:00 so we headed for the festival. A stop at Starbucks was called for in-route, then it was on to the Festival.




As always at Old Settlers, the music varied. There were over-ampted Canadians, a great Irish band (complete with fiddle, accordion and bag pipes) and plenty of traditional bluegrass.
And no festival is complete without "festival food"

And, remember what I said about the Austin Crazies? I do my best to fit in!

Next up....Stars Over Texas for Memorial Day.

Pappy

1 comment:

kimberly dyann said...

Hey, that was a lovely recap of our time!! And dang I am glad I snapped all those silly pics. It was GREAT to see you and HAPPY APRIL 19th!!! I love you dad.